Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Conqueror - Spring 2020

This is a special “stay-at-home” edition of the SRR newsletter. In this edition, we highlight the strength of our community and feature special appearances by club members outside the greater Somerville area. 

Wherever we all are, maintaining community is important right now. 

So, be well, stay safe, and run happy.  Special thanks to Carrie-Anne DeDeo for editorial review, and to all club/board members who contributed content.

--Urvi Mujumdar, Marketing Coordinator


Thank You to those in our SRR and greater community who are on the front lines, first responders, and essential workers providing care and services.  

President's Corner

Irene Lanois, President

As we enter what feels like week 900 of social isolation, we’re all struggling to find our own ways to deal with the sudden disruption of normal life. Despite the lack of normalcy, the SRR community has made this time more bearable for me and for many of us. All the video chats, Strava posts, Instagram stories, and other virtual interactions we’ve had have helped create a sense of connection and community amid the crisis.

Through online meetings and virtual running, SRR will persist through these uncertain times. And when we’re able to meet up in groups again, the club will be there to continue our friendships, runs, races, and charitable activities.

Last year, before we had ever heard of COVID-19, the SRR board met to discuss our priorities and affirm our core values. We settled on a list of five key pillars:
  • Member involvement and support
  • Competition
  • Social opportunities
  • Community involvement
  • Charitable contributions and financial stability

I hope that, even in these trying times, we can continue to maintain our focus on these pillars and let them guide our club’s decisions. We continue to seek ways to give back to our community through donations and volunteering while being mindful of the clubs long-term financial viability. We are hosting virtual meetings and virtual runs, and our marketing coordinator is doing an amazing job to help us come together on social media (thanks, Urvi!). 

We are committed to supporting you in any way we can through virtual interactions, group chats, workout ideas, and more. Although our face-to-face social interactions are on hold, you can come join us on Thursday nights for a virtual Casey’s hangout or start your own group video chats with other members. And even though racing is on hold, we have a few virtual competition ideas in the works. Read further for updates from the 26x1 committee, and stay tuned to our social media to hear about other weekly challenges.

As long as this “new normal” continues, I encourage you to stay involved in whatever ways you can. Please reach out to me if you have suggestions or ideas for the club or even if you just want to chat. In the meantime, the club is committed to following all relevant guidelines to help minimize the spread of coronavirus. Stay safe, stay healthy, wear a mask, and care for each other.



Thanks for showing up, SRR, especially in times like this!

--Irene


Special Announcement from the Board


The following announcement was conveyed to all SRR members on March 12:

Due to recent developments related to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, and after consulting with our weekly run coordinators and other volunteers and leadership within the club, the SRR Board has decided to take the following actions with respect to several planned club-sponsored events:
  • Weekly runs including Bur-Run, Tuesday Track, Squirrel Scramble, and Casey's are cancelled temporarily. This is a tough decision, and we hope to resume these as soon as possible. For all of our valued members who opt to carry on with social runs in the interim, we encourage you to follow guidance from local officials, the state of Massachusetts, and the CDC to minimize risk of COVID-19 transmission.
  • The SRR Kids program is cancelled for the Spring Season. 
  • We will wait for additional clarity from the BAA and local officials before making decisions related to Boston Marathon-related events. We will keep you up to date as we learn more and as decisions are made.
We understand that this situation is frustrating, and we appreciate your ideas and concerns with respect to these policy decisions. Please take care of yourselves and your fellow club members, and reach out to us with your ideas, concerns, questions, and feedback. Stay connected online! We are here for you and are looking forward to a return to normal as soon as possible. If you are looking for additional guidance for how to best protect yourself and our community during this time, please continue to monitor the statements by  local officials, the state, and the CDC, for up to date information. 

The 2020-2021 Board 
Irene Lanois, President
Sara Radkiewicz, Vice-President
Brian Tinger, Treasurer
Doug Lipinsky, Secretary
Nils Vaule and Dustin Counsell, Members-at-Large


The Starting Line

The 26 x 1 Relay is Virtual: June 8-14th.

Anywhere and Everywhere. 1 mile each. Amazing team spirit all around. All for charity.

Individuals and teams can sign up here. Race details can be found at the same link.
Tag us on social media with #26x1relay. If you feel you need a boost, Victor Gonzalez has shared his virtual cheers that you can take with you on the road (#findaway #digdeep #yourewelcome)!


Photo Credit Paul Nelson

ICYMI, The SRR Grand Prix has been cancelled due to upcoming race cancellations. The Boston Marathon has been postponed until September 14, 2020. The BAA 10K has been postponed until November 22, 2020.

Stay tuned for updates about events the club has planned for later in the year.  

The Warm Up: A Special Tribute to Our SRR Community

Was there any doubt that, in the face of adversity, our community spirit would come shining through? When life deals us challenges, no matter how serious--terrorist attacks at the finish line, losing loved ones within our community, and, now, a global pandemic--the SRR community rises to the occasion. No one could have predicted what 2020 would bring, but in light of the separations wrought by the global pandemic, we value our community even more.  

In this era of physical distancing, we’ve reached out to members of the SRR community far from Boston to share photos and messages of what they’ve been up to:


Emma (Kosciak) Azadan, Texas
Emma sends highlights from her adventures with baby Rocky in the Lone Star State. Check out Rocky working out with Mom, napping after 3M in the jog stroller, or planking with Dad!



Adrian Bellando, New Zealand
Adrian arrived in NZ for a three-week family trip that has now extended to two months!  



Diona Fulton, California

Diona keeps in touch from Santa Barbara, and she recently shared on Instagram: "The world may feel upside down. But stay strong, stay connected, get outside and find joy everyday ❤".



Kate Hails, Pennsylvania
Kate shares the following update as she wraps up her PhD in Clinical Psychology and will be moving to Portland, Oregon for at least a year:
I'm excited to explore a new part of the country that's known for incredible trails and a great running scene. COVID has certainly made my last few months in Pittsburgh a lot different from what I expected. I've never been so grateful to be able to run. Pittsburgh has a lot of parks, so I've been exploring some of the lesser known areas where I'm less likely to run into people, like some great single track that was built on top of a slag dump, an old coal mine...classic Pittsburgh! I've also been using the extra free time to stay on top of PT/injury prevention/strength work, and doing more yoga. Hoping that at least some of these habits stick when life starts to get more hectic again! 




Eva Kopf-Ridout, Colorado
Eva shares some pics from the scenic Rocky Mountain vistas in her home state of Colorado.



Julie Kosciak, Texas
Julie has joined a more formal running club out of Houston where black (red) ties are required and beer drinking post-run is encouraged. Since quarantine has set in, her baking miles have increased and she has found a new respect for using resistance bands in-between recipes.



Jon & Kerry May, California
Jon shares the following message:
West coast greetings to our SRR family. Really can’t believe it’s been almost eight years since we last donned the black and gold singlets.  We’re still trying to remain competitive on the other side of the continent, but it’s definitely not the same without the Packard Ave repeats and the group long runs.  Miss you guys more than you know, and hope to see some of you on the left side after we get through these bizarre times.  In the meantime, listen to Joe, pay your track fees, and maybe run a Grand Prix race every once in a while.  Hang in there. 




Shaun Miller, Colorado
Shaun shares a couple shots from beautiful Colorado, where it's mostly trail running.

Jennifer Rapaport, Florida
Jen sends photos of running and biking down in Florida. She is always sharing support for SRR, as she would for any of us during a race or ride.

Charoma (Blyden) Ritter, Western New York
Charoma contributes this report:

Greetings from western NY!  It has been about a year and half since my husband, Michael, and I left Boston and made the move to Houghton, NY just 70 miles south of Buffalo.  It is in this little hamlet...not large enough to even be considered a village...that I have had to reinvent my running.   
As a city runner, I found myself way out of my comfort zone shuffling along alone on rural back roads here. The first couple months of my time here was spent very close to home, only going out for about a mile at a time, too nervous to venture farther. Then it happened. February of last year, I was awarded a coveted lottery spot in the 2019 NYC Marathon. I would have to run longer and stray further from home to train. Training for the race gave me the much-needed motivation to face this unknown territory head-on. Fortitudine Vincimus--by endurance we conquer. Day by day, one run at a time, I trained, clinging to the principles so dear to the SRR community; that getting out there is what matters--no matter how fast you go or how many races you've run.  
I finished the 2019 NYC Marathon, making it my fourth World Marathon Major (only two more to go!). Thank you all for your support and cheers!  While I do still miss running along the banks of the Charles with my SRR community and I'm still not used to all the roadkill I run pass out here, I am learning to appreciate this new time and space I find myself in. I'm glad to be a part of the SRR community from afar. Shout out to SRR Cruise Control! I miss pounding pavement with you ladies and love getting your updates and seeing your progress. Keep it up! 



Ann Rowley, Illinois
Ann shares the following update about her and husband Jim Moberg (both SRR alumni):
We are doing well and staying healthy.  Jim is a nurse and seeing patents and doing procedures a couple times a week after a break of a few weeks. I'm working from home until June and being sure to get our 'movement' breaks in once a day. Whether it be biking to get more tequila, doing squats with Marielle on my back, or pushing Alex in the Bob while chasing Marielle on her scooter, we are finding plenty of ways to keep active.



Mauricio Salmon, Georgia
Mauricio shares pictures of what's happening in the Atlanta area, starting with a visit from Dan McGinty in February for the Publix Atlanta Marathon, two months with no haircut, and restaurants in the neighborhood.

Sonia Sharan, Washington DC
From our nation’s capital, Sonia shares:
"SRR has been my one and only running community. I ran Boston the same year I moved away #classof2016 with an SRR number! Miss y'all and enjoying this virtual connection!"

Hsien-Chung Tseng, Georgia
From the Peachtree State, Hsien-Chung writes, “I miss all SRR folks and the running scene in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville” and sends some recent running photos. (Can you spot Des Linden warming up for the Olympic Trials Qualifier?!)


Jessica Zall, New York
"It's me!" from the Big Apple. Jess sends running pictures from Central Park and on an empty 3rd Avenue.

Thank you to each of you who contributed photos and messages for this section. If we missed you in this edition (and we do miss you) send an update anytime to marketing@srr.org.

The Warm Up Continued: Virtual Marathon Week and the Class of 2020

The marathon may have been postponed, but SRR’s spirit was not. Spearheaded by Marathon Coordinator Tina Mack--in concert with the SRR Board--members of SRR got the chance to take part in a virtual marathon week leading up to Patriots’ Day 2020. 
Members participated in a week-long challenge for mileage (be it 2.62 or 26.2 miles), took their heartbreak to the hills, and shared coping strategies for life in quarantine. Some ran the virtual Casey’s route, many cheered front-line heroes at Friday evening’s “Clap Because We Care,” and others shared our pasta creations and practiced resting before the big day (it’s important!). 
On what would have been Marathon Monday, club members bonded through a Zoom yoga class, watched memories of Boston Marathon 2014 and 2018 on Patriots Day, and even reminisced at a virtual Burren after-party!
Here is the Google Photo Album compilation from that week.

We also want to take this opportunity to recognize SRR’s 2020 Invitational Runners:
Jessica Berger, Sarah Canterman, Dustin Counsell, Susannah Ford, Laurie Gagnon, Liza Neustaetter, John Scott, and Nils Vaule.
We support you in your continued training, and we’ll be there to cheer you on when we come back, stronger than before.

We heard from a few members of the Class of 2020 to share their reflections.

Dustin Counsell

My motivation, for the moment, is just to keep running, and to contribute to the Boston and SRR running communities. I feel lucky to be here. This was my first-ever marathon training experience, and it was transformative: big mileage and crazy winter weather. I was nervous and on the fence about running Martha's this year, but I am very glad that I opted into that race. Being a part of the SRR Board during this time has also been a memorable experience. I really do appreciate how positive and supportive the SRR community has been throughout this--especially those initial few weeks of social distancing when we were all figuring it out on the fly. As a new member of the Board, I will say it is amazing to see how much creativity and work our volunteers contribute.

Photo Credit Erin Morin

Laurie Gagnon


2020 has been a bit of a roller coaster. I kicked it off in Mexico, and with the power of technology and a bit of delightfully smooth tequila, I submitted my SRR Boston Marathon application. I wasn't sure I was ready to train for my first marathon in four years (Barcelona March 2016!) and since having Ethan (November 2018). Comebacks are hard, as they say. But SRR is such a special community to me, and I knew that with that support and company, I could do it. So I started to build, week by week, with wonderful company through it all and elaborate routes to accommodate varying distances with my training partners. 

MV20 was a milestone. I didn't set any records, though I did place in the Filly category (!), and I ran at a faster pace than I thought might be in the cards. Most importantly, I felt good, respectably strong. Plus, the MV20 weekend brings wonderful memories, traditions, and a great weekend with great friends. Fast-forward through almost another month of training and building excitement to bring us to COVID-19, the postponement of Boston, and, for me, a diagnosis of (early stage, treatable) breast cancer. 

The past month and a half has brought many emotions, gratitude, and reflection. Rather than doing a final long run, I was getting ready for surgery. I didn't get back to running until the Thursday after Boston was supposed to happen, so ironically, September 14 (hopefully!!) will likely be a better time for me to run. Through it all the love and support of my SRR family has been abundant and unwavering--flowers, (socially distanced) porch hellos, meals, some eggs and greens, video apps I didn't know existed, people sending their well wishes, and more. I know and am grateful that I am so lucky (and privileged) in so many ways--the cancer was found early, I've been able to access top-notch care even in COVID-19 times, and I have my amazing SRR friends and community. Thank you for being there and for the opportunity to represent the club that has been my running home for more than 10 years! I will do my best to make you all proud. 

Photo Credit Erin Morin

Sadik Tokgoz

We also heard from Sadik Tokgoz, who would have been running his 24th Boston Marathon,
and has been a member since 2011.

My location (Waltham) and my frequent mostly international travel makes it difficult to join the SRR trainings. I always promise myself to join the track workouts or weekly social runs but I kept on failing. :) Hence I earn the title of "Most antisocial SRR Member". :)
I try to run with the fast young guys for the long runs once in a while if my schedule/training permits.
Yes, I've been a regular for Boston Marathon for the past 23 years. I always wanted to run a marathon. Coming to Boston from Turkey as a grad student made it possible since there was no marathon (or a local public road race) in Turkey back then. I mostly do marathons. I think I have a few accidental pressured by peers 5Ks, one half-marathon, one 10K. I had done 142 marathons and still going on.
Since I run on my own most of the time, the Covid-19 did not really change much in my running. In fact, since I get to work from home nowadays, it even made it easier/convenient. I did not have to deal with scheduling my long runs or any runs due to my long international flights or time zone changes.
What has been the most difficult was not having any goals for a race. I didn't do a tapering down a few weeks ago as I should have been doing for Boston. Having no race in the schedule took my motivation away. I usually take some time off in May/June after the races to rest my body. But this season since there were no races, instead of taking complete time off, I might just do easy runs for 4-5 weeks before getting back to regular training. Then we'll see what happens with the races in Fall. Berlin just got cancelled yesterday and we were planning to go there with some SRR members.
Healthy days...

Photo Courtesy Sadik Tokgoz

Weekly Miles

Though our weekly runs are currently on hiatus, Coach Joe O'Leary and Thursday Night Run Coordinator Doug Lipinsky have shared ways to participate. We also have an update on the SRR Kids program from Sarah Canterman, Co-Coordinator. All workouts are intended to be run solo, following public health guidelines, avoiding areas where social distancing is not possible, at least for the foreseeable future.

Tuesday Night Track (#SRRVirtualTrack)

Coach Joe O'Leary will be posting weekly workouts that can be done out on the road (see track page on the website for full details). Here are a couple workouts he has suggested that can be rotated and done anywhere/anytime.


Fartlek:
“Fartlek” is a Swedish term.  It means “speed play.” And that’s what you do. You play with speed. You go by feel. Run hard, then run easy, and do it by feel. Don’t be looking at a watch. The length of the fast sections is up to you, and often is decided on the fly. The length of the pickup should determine the intensity. In a fartlek workout, there is no specific pace you are forced to match, no individual runner you need to keep up with, and no particular distance you need to complete. 
When I do fartlek, I’ll randomly decide to pick up the pace for some distance. I’ll look around, see what’s around me and decide from that,  Something like any of the following:

  • Two blocks
  • Four telephone poles
  • 2 minutes
  • The length of a hill
  • 1 mile (or thereabouts, if you have particular long segment you’d like to try)
On the extreme end, I’ve even done fartlek workouts in which all I did was 6 flat-out sprints for 15 seconds with long recoveries. That was it. Ninety seconds of fast running total. And I’ve also done long fartlek reps totaling 30 minutes of hard running. But usually I mix it up, and that’s what you should do.   

The point of a fartlek workout is to build resilience and adaptability along with speed. If you do it right, it should completely remove the “dread” that some of you might feel in track workouts. 
Hill Reps:

We all know Packard Ave. Hill. It’s a perfect place to get a solid amount of climbing. But any hill that gives you at least 1 minute of climbing will do, so if you know of another, by all means, pick it. Aim for 15-20 minutes total of climbing. At Packard Ave., that’s anywhere from six to ten times the full Packard Ave. hill (all the way from Powderhouse Boulevard to Professors Row) for most people.

Most of you will recall that when we do Packard Ave., I typically have you do start off with one “half hill,” only up to the tennis courts before doing the “full Hhill” reps. This is because the first hill is always a shock to the system; if you overload yourself on the first rep, you’ll end up with a much shorter workout.  

I also typically break the workout into two sets with a 3 minutes rest in between. Again, I recommend this for whatever hill you try. That little bit of extra rest greatly extends the amount of work you can do in one session.

Another hill we all know is Eastern Ave. in Arlington. That’s a mile long climb, so there we’ll typically only do 2 or 3 reps of the hill. But again, that comes out usually in the 15-20-ish minute range.

Timed Tempo:

A timed tempo workout is just a pickup from easy pace to “comfortably hard” pace for 20- to 25-minute pickup in the middle of a longer run. That’s it.

“Tempo” is not a pace, it is a range of paces. It is roughly anywhere from our track threshold pace all the way to marathon pace. The intensity is adjusted to whatever amount of time you are trying to run it. For example, threshold pace is comfortably hard for one mile but not for five. And marathon pace is comfortably hard for (maybe) 10 miles but not for 26.  You need to aim for how this workout feels.

When you finish the 20- to 25-minute block, returning to normal pace should not be difficult. You should not need to stop and rest or be reduced to a shuffle for a mile. This is true “controlled” speed. So, you absolutely should not feel too drained by this. If you do feel drained by it, you went too hard and next time need to back off a little.  

Think of this as one half of our normal Minuteman Bike Path workout, except that you run the intensity you can truly manage instead of trying to keep up with a group and running too hard.

Straight-Up Marathon Pace Run:

Many of you were aiming for spring marathons and didn’t get to do them. You might feel like this short fast stuff just isn’t doing it for you. You trained for a long hard run. So do one. Whatever pace you were aiming for in that spring marathon, hold it for 8-12 miles in the middle of a longer run.  If you have a Garmin, by all means watch every mile split if you feel like it. Alternatively, you could use the Minuteman Bike Path which has granite mile markers every mile. However, I should warn you that it's a bit crowded for social distancing these days.

Thursday Night Virtual Run (#SRRVirtualThursdayRun)

Here is what Doug Lipinsky, Thursday night run coordinator, has shared:
1. Run the Thursday Night Run course
Since we don't want everyone congregating at the usual Thursday night run time, you can run the course any time during the seven days up to Thursday at midnight. If you're worried about the streak requiring someone to do the run on an actual Thursday night, don't worry, I'm sure we'll have some traditionalists who get out there on Thursday.

2. Log or report your run
There are a few ways you can do this.
  • If you use Strava, just make sure you're a member of the SRR club and make sure your privacy settings allow your run to show up on the leaderboard. I'll pull the list for the week off there every Thursday night.
  • If you don't use Strava or don't want to open up your privacy settings, just let me know that you ran the course and (optionally) what your time was. You can reach me at thursdayrun@srr.org, dmlipinski@gmail.com, or on Facebook.
Every week, I'll post the results to our results page and let you all know when they're uploaded. I'd also love to hear about anything fun or notable that happened on your run. Did you set a PR for the course? Did you get stopped at four stoplights in a row? Did you see a turkey attacking someone's car because it saw its own reflection? Let's hear about it!

Finally, and this is important, I think we might even get more Thursday night participation this way than on a normal Thursday night. I was talking with Brendan Caffrey, though and he disagrees. I believe his words were "it's not that I think you can't, it's that you won't, and also that you're not able to." Or maybe that was a different conversation. Anyway, let's prove Brendan wrong! Join the SRR virtual run this week! See you out there (online)!

(PS: #ProvingBrendanWrong #NotCaseysPizza #SorryDoug have been trending)


SRR Kids Program

Sarah Canterman, Co-Coordinator for the spring program of SRR Kids shared:
While our official SRR Kids program has been postponed, our families are still finding creative ways to stay active while promoting our core principles of movement and fun! Families have written in to tell us what they’re doing during these times: indoor obstacle courses, circuit training, jump ropes, and outdoor sprints to name a few! As a reminder it’s important for kids to get a minimum of 60 minutes of physical activity a day, and with the weather improving, now is the perfect time to challenge your kids and family to get outdoors and move (while of course observing social distancing protocols)! 
This May, SRR Kids has issued a challenge: Aim for 60 minutes of physical activity a day and share a photo during the month of May. All participating kids will receive a free SRR Kids stretchy bracelet! More details and how to register will be coming soon!
We miss you all! Stay safe, healthy, and active.

SRR Virtual Runs

Connecting on social media keeps our community strong (and if you're not on social media, email is just fine). For any and all of your runs, please tag @somervilleroadrunners on social media, use the hashtags #SRRFlattensTheHills #SRRVirtualTrack #SRRVirtualRun #SRRVirtualBoston #SRRVirtualThursdayRun #SRRCommunity, and we’ll feature you in Instagram stories and compilations. To see recent photos, please visit the Google group or Facebook group, or reach out to marketing@srr.org to send a direct message or update.  We’re on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Strava, and LinkedIn too! We also have a new Slack channel (see email within Google Group for details on how to join).
Porch Flybys have been popular. Here are a few, credits to Erin Morin and Ben Spaulding.





Rest and Rebuild

Tune In with Cherie Turner

We recently learned that one of our newest club members, Cherie Turner, has created a podcast!
We asked her to share more about that, along with some tips for strengthening.

Photo Courtesy Cherie Turner
Cherie recently joined SRR after moving to Somerville last September. A former professional cyclist, her running interests include anything from ParkRuns to marathons (and the occasional ultra), and she'll be training for Boston and Comrades when they're back on the schedule. In addition to running, Cherie is an avid traveler and has a passion for animal conservation (especially elephants).

Strides Forward Podcast: Inspirational Stories About Long-Distance Running
Strides Forward is a new running podcast, sharing inspirational stories about long-distance running (marathons and ultras). And, it’s made right here in Somerville: the show is hosted and produced by SRR member Cherie Turner. 
Each episode features the story of one (female) runner, and dives into her insights and experiences in the sport. The first season focuses on running South Africa’s 90-km (54-mile) Comrades Marathon, the world’s largest (27,500 runners registered for 2020) and oldest (est. 1921) ultra-distance running race in the world. If you aren’t familiar with Comrades, the race itself is fascinating; each episode shares a bit about the history and traditions of the event. 
Runners featured are from around the world. Some run faster, some run slower; all are passionate about the sport. 
You can find Strides Forward on your favorite podcast app or at stridesforwardpodcast.com. On the website there is also a list of resources primarily focused on women and running: blogs, books, newsletters, and podcasts (Do you have something to add? Please email Cherie at clouiseturner@gmail.com).  

Improve Your Running Form During Lockdown: Free Daily Videos from Balanced Runner
Jae Gruenke, founder of the Balanced Runner, is offering free daily (M–F) videos that address the finer details of running form. This time of “nothing to train for” is perfect for getting back to basics; these form tips, insights, and suggestions give you something to focus on when some of us are feeling a bit at sea in terms of running focus. 
Videos are 15–25 minutes each; you can join Jae live (2pm EST) or watch videos at any time via the Balanced Runner YouTube Channel. For the cat lover, you can also look forward to guest appearances by Leroy. 
Jae is a Feldenkrais Practitioner and is well recognized as a running form expert. The method she teaches is aimed to help “bring the neuromuscular re-education techniques of the Feldenkrais Method of Movement Education to serve the needs of the running community. . . . The Feldenkrais Method uses a process of organic learning, movement, and sensing to activate your neuroplasticity and allow new patterns of thinking, moving and feeling to emerge.” 
Give it a whirl.   

"Dear Coach", Cortney Jacobsen

Many of you remember Cortney Jacobsen, SRR alumnus on the west coast, and we have been thrilled to see her write-ups in Triathlon Magazine and to hear about the start of her own coaching business. We asked her to share more about what she has been up to.


Photo Courtesy Cortney Jacobsen


I owe the SRR family a debt of gratitude for the crash course in marathoning and introduction to social running and most importantly, for your friendship. For those who don’t know me, I moved to Somerville from Seattle in 2012 to start a new job and a new life. Sara Radkiewicz and I worked together, and she encouraged me to join SRR. Before I knew what was happening, I was training for my first marathon and later that year, my first Ironman. 

I was only in Somerville for two years, but I left with lifelong friendships and an obsession with the endurance training process and the athlete mindset. I eventually got my USA Triathlon coaching license and started a coaching business, Northwest Energy Lab, where I coach time-crunched business professionals whose endurance training and demanding careers are top priorities in their lives. 

Last year, I took the plunge and left my corporate career to start a new company, GritLink. I am passionate about endurance sports because they challenge us to push our boundaries. The endurance mindset means you never give up. You continually find a purpose to keep going. You have grit. I believe this human quality is an important one to learn, develop, and maintain through never-ending practice. This belief is the reason why I am building GritLink. GritLink helps endurance and adventure enthusiasts connect with health care providers who understand the lifestyle and mindset of athletes. 

As a runner, you are one of the fortunate ones in this crazy time, to have had the opportunity to develop your gritty mindset through your running pursuits and your support for each other. Although we are experiencing so much stress and uncertainty right now, know that you have the skills to stay positive and active through these crazy times. 

To learn more about GritLink, come join one of our free weekly webinars. Each week we discuss a different sports science topic with providers in our network. Check out our schedule on our Facebook page, or by subscribing to our email list. Or join GritLink at www.gritLink.net--it’s FREE! We are expanding across the U.S., and I need your help! If you are a healthcare provider or know one who is an expert in working with endurance athletes, contact me (cortney@gritlink.net), and let’s get a GritLink network started in the Boston area! 

Game Changer Living with Nichole Bukowski

Meet Nichole Bukowski one of our fellow SRR members and former VP.  Like all of us she loves her running and all of the friendships, fun times and shenanigans the SRR run community brings to her life!  As part of her business, Game Changer Living, she coaches runners to feel their best in body and mind, because running is life and there just isn't time to be injured when you can prevent it!  

Photo Courtesy Nichole Bukowski

Her approach for helping runners feel and perform their best is by viewing your body like a team. When all team members, or your muscles, are doing their job then you feel great! When certain team members don't do their job or when certain team members won't be quiet, then your body or team becomes unbalanced. You have a whole team ready to show up and the movement she coaches you through gives you the tools to create a happy, healthy, efficient team because every running body deserves that kind of team!
Nichole has been offering online Yoga for Runners classes and these will continue for the next month on Thursdays from 6-7 pm. 
The next dates are the following: 5/21, 5/28. 
The drop in cost for these classes is $8. 
To sign up go to: Game Changer Living*
*A Zoom link with class instructions will be sent to you, once you sign up. 

She's also offering a special opportunity just for SRR members!  SRR members can join a free 45 minute Strong Running Body class on Zoom. The same class will be offered Monday PM and Tuesday AM for 4 weeks. 
Mondays from 7:30-8:15 pm.  Dates: 5/18, 5/25. 6/1 
Tuesdays from 6:30 - 7:15 am  Dates: 5/19, 5/26. 6/2 
To sign up for any of these classes you can send an email to: coach.nichole.bukowski@gmail.com
Nichole will send you the link for the Zoom Class. This is a great opportunity to build your best running body team AND connect with your SRR community. 
*Anyone who is interested in becoming an SRR member can sign up for one class as a non-member. After you sign up for membership you can join all the classes for free and enjoy many more SRR membership perks.

Intervals


Ultra-X Mexico Race Recap by Øystein Brekovski


In the far away time of late 2019, Øystein embarked on a multi-day ultra in Mexico.  We asked him to share a bit about the experience. His recap:



Race information:

  • What? Ultra-X Mexico

  • When? November 4-8, 2019
  • How far? 160 miles total over 5 stages
  • Where? Barrancas del Cobre, Mexico
Ultra-X Mexico is a stage race covering 160 miles of the Barrancas del Cobre--the Copper Canyons--which comprises a large area of the state Chihuaha in northern Mexico. The course includes ~45,000 ft of elevation gain, and the terrain is famously wild and uncompromising, as described in the book Born to Run, which detailed the near superhuman ability of the local tribes of runners, the Tarahumara, and their ability to traverse it. They do all that wearing flimsy, home-made sandals, which made me feel quite pampered in my gigantic Hokas.

I went into this race with quite limited ultra-running experience, having only completed one 50K trail race as part of my training. I flew to Chihuaha and met up with the staff, and the forty or so other runners, and the next day we set out for the canyons. We were only allowed 25 pounds of gear, and I was horrified to realize I would have to leave my thermos and batch of instant coffee prior to departing. Fortunately, our drop bags would be transported from camp to camp by the race arrangers--who also moved the camp for us--so all we had to do was get there.

That, however, wasn't as easy as I had thought. The majority of the stages were run at 7000 feet above sea level, and my Garmin told me my blood oxygen was in the high 80%. I took a nasty fall on Stage 1 and likely fractured my hand and then rolled my ankle really bad on Stage 2. By the morning of the third day, I had a balloon animal-like appendage in place of a hand, and an ankle that complained with every shuffling step. The views, however, made up for it.

Day 3 went through some truly remote canyons, which our guide told us “likely hadn't been traversed by anyone for a very long time.” I'm partial to believe that, as the trail sported several piles of neatly ordered human skulls.  There was around 9000 feet of highly technical descent on this stage, which left me absolutely shattered by the time I entered the village of Urique, where we were to camp for the night.

Day 4 was advertised as the hardest stage, with 15,000 feet of elevation gain over a total of 40 miles, and I wasn't feeling great about there still being more left in this race. Luckily a nice lady in the village gave me a bunch of burritos through an open window as I shuffled past late at night with my headlamp, looking for the port-a-potties. The local Tarahumara also put on a very cool dance show for us, which I wish I could have been more present-minded for.
However, I was very preoccupied with getting my blisters dressed and eating as much of my disgusting ration bars and freeze-dried teriyaki chicken mix as I could.


Photos courtesy Ultra X/Benedict Tuffnell

Somehow I came back from the dead on Day 4 and made my best placement of the week. Saw a bunch of runners that day that I had only seen in camp prior, as they were always so far ahead. I even managed to pass one of the Tarahumara runners! (Disclaimer: He was 70 years old and had likely fractured his leg on Day 3, which only seemed to slow him down enough for me to pass him). Telecom Japan, which were making a documentary about the race, seemed conflicted regarding my newfound strength, as they had dedicated a great amount of staff to document what they surely expected to be a highly emotional moment when I dropped. Later on, I heard they were hoping to make a documentary about failure and coming to terms with your limitations. Not today, Telecom. Not today.

Rejuvenated by my newfound powers, I pushed through the endless descents of Stage 3 and finally made it to the finish line in Batopilas.

We had a proper rager of a party, and I slept like a dead man underneath a clock tower that turned out to be undergoing repairs (the bells rung every 30 minute, all night). During the many hours of bus ride back through the canyons, I reflected on how far 160 miles really is. Ultra-X was a great experience, and I'd recommend anyone to do the Mexico stage race (or any of their other races around the globe).

Imgur-hosted pictures

Cheer Zone

Though it may seem like a surreal time, there have been recent accolades from club members that are worth the cheers from your living room windows... (as you read this, several just ran the Virtual Harpoon 5-miler on Sunday, 5/17)


  • Kate Mueller set a 5K PR on the track in April!
  • Sara Radkiewicz, Julie Holt, Chris Smith, and Scott Abrams participated in the Virtual Cherry Blossom 5K/10-Miler on Sunday, 4/5.  The entire crew lamented cancelled travel plans with a post-run Google hangout party, nevertheless.
  • Paul Amaral ran an Ultra on Patriots Day.  He shares the recap and photos below.
My plan was to run 100 miles in 20-mile loops throughout the day. I woke up at 12:30am after 3 hours of sleep and started my first 20-mile loop just after 1am. First loop was fast, maybe too fast. I finished in 3 hours and started my second loop at 5am. Second loop was a bit slower, and I ended up finishing in 3:11. Started my third loop just after 9am and had to do a lot of walking. My family was waiting for me at the 10.5-mile mark, and that’s what kept me motivated. I finished the third loop in 3:32.
I wasn’t sure if I would be able to start a fourth loop, but a little extra rest and the thought of family and friends waiting to cheer me on from the course got me out the door at 2:30pm. I was able to keep up a run/walk effort until about mile 66 where the wheels fell off, but I had to make it until at least mile 70.7 where I had friends and family waiting to cheer me on. Once I reached them I called it a day. I couldn’t have done it without the support of my wife and kids!
Total miles: 70.7
Actual time moving: 11hrs 48min
Actual elapsed time: 15hrs 36min

Photos courtesy Paul Amaral
  • Dirk Walther ran a 70.5k (Cambridge to Marblehead and back)  and a 102.4k (Cambridge to Hull and back) on two consecutive weekends. He shares a snapshot of the journey:

Fartleks

The pre-COVID era of 2020 was a time of many remarkable accomplishments by SRR members! We began the year with an unseasonably warm Wintah Challenge, reminiscent of the Summer Steamer.
Photo Credit Erin Morin

The Annual Awards Party took place at the new Dilboy in late January.  The board recognized members and the club for their accomplishments in 2019.

Many of our crew traveled to Martha’s Vineyard for the annual relay and 20-miler over Presidents' Day weekend.  Several came back with hardware, including Kieran Condon who placed second overall!

Photo credit Victor Gonzalez
The Road Ahead
In the middle of the pandemic, in a weekend filled with snow and sunshine, buzz about Murder Hornets, there was a wedding of club members! We extend our congratulations to runners Cindy Dunn and Patrick Luckow and wish you many safe miles ahead.

Photo credit Eric McCallister

Running Maxims

Note to self: You know the ‘loving the process’ you always talk about? Yeah, now is the time to practice what you preach. No spectators. No competitors. No results. Just love of the process. 
--Des Linden



No comments:

Post a Comment