The Summer 2017 Edition of the Conqueror was compiled and edited by Urvi Mujumdar and Carrie-Anne DeDeo
Welcome! As you may have noticed, The Conqueror took a little hiatus. But never fear--we’re back now to catch you up on all the awesome things SRR has been up to in the first half of 2017, plus some exciting events and opportunities to look forward to in the future. We finish this edition with a very special member spotlight.
- Read a recap of the annual awards presented at the Post-Holiday Bash on January 20th. Thank you again to all who attended, volunteered, and helped organize!
- SRR was named one of two Best Running Clubs in the Northeast by Competitor!
- Have you renewed your membership for 2017? If not, here is the Membership Sign-Up.
- Interested in a calendar that brings together all SRR events in one place? Soon you’ll have it! Thank you to club member, Irene Lanois for taking on this project. Stay tuned for info on how to subscribe.
- Did you know the Bur-Run has been on a consecutive streak for over 8 years now? Join the Monday night fun! Info can be found at the Bur-Run Page. Thank you to current organizer Seth Maleri and prior coordinator Paul Venuti, who have been manning this run every week for 3+ years!
- This year's Red Sox Runner's Night will be Wednesday, August 2, vs. Cleveland @ 7:10pm. Bleacher seats are $30, and the Budweiser Deck & bar will be open for us to hang out and socialize with members of our club as well as other local running groups starting at 5:40pm. (Grandstand seats are $32, but the view from the bleachers is better!) Follow the link to purchase tickets by July 31st. You can see who else is attending and where they're seated by clicking on the "Show All Attendees" button.
- The SRR board is proud to announce the confirmation of the following July appointed positions. Congratulations to our new and continuing officers!
- Boston Marathon Coordinator: Tina Tobey Mack
- Grand Prix Coordinators: Tim Blanchard and Victor Gonzalez
- Kids Program Coordinators: Darren Cormier and Shane McNally
- Marketing Coordinator: Emily Munoz
- Webmaster: Sara Radkiewicz
The board would also like to say a hearty thank you to our outgoing officers--Grand Prix Coordinators Tom Breider and Tom Bok as well as Webmaster Adrian Bellando--for their years of service to the club.
Recap of the Year To Date
- Wintah Challenge
Thank you to Deb Downs and an awesome committee for planning and carrying out a fun tradition on a bitterly cold day! The usual Casey’s route was mixed in with snow angels, snowballs, powdered donuts, and a dance to the finish.
|Photo Credit: Nicole Tateosian|
- In March, our newly elected Board of Directors and Club Officers took office. Thank you to Club President Julie Holt, Vice President Nichole Bukowski, Secretary Paola Massoli, Treasurer Stephanie Finnegan, and Members at Large Jason Lachapelle and Melissa Glotzbecker for leading us into the new year!
- Special congratulations to Julie Holt! The previous board wrote a nomination for Julie to be considered for a Leadership Development Scholarship through the Road Runners Club of America. She was selected and attended the annual convention (held in Detroit, MI) this March!
- Pictured below, the board is never bored at our monthly board meetings!
Photo credit Laura Buso
- An Ras Mor celebrated its 20th year on March 26th this year! Thank you to Joe O’Leary and the committee and volunteers for making it happen. Below, happy volunteers Victor Gonzalez and Molly and Mireya Crellin.
Photo courtesy Pensri Pilotte
- April was a busy month as 50+ SRRs once again took the field at the 121st Boston Marathon! Despite an unseasonably warm day, several SRRs made their mark including our own Deb Downs featured below on her way to a course PR of 3:10.
Photo courtesy Paul Nelson
- May was a month of community spirit! The SRR Kids Program came to a close at the Mystic River Herring Run. Many runners and volunteers braved the cold rain at MOM’s Run (to benefit Dana Farber), and scholarships were awarded to local Somerville High School graduates.
- In June, the annual 26x1 Club Challenge Relay brought together teams from across the area and capped off the SRR Grand Prix. The committee put together a great event at a new location (Hormel Stadium in Medford, MA) this year. Pictured below, the top female Emma Kosciak came back all the way from Texas for this hand-off!
Photo courtesy Deb Downs
- SRR Grand Prix Results can be found at http://goo.gl/5v1msX. Congratulations to all participants and winners. Thank you to the Toms (Breider and Bok) for putting on a fabulous series! Stay tuned for details on the awards party.
- Most recently, a crew of awesome SRR volunteers braved a hot day at the Mile 5 water stop at the BAA 10K. For future volunteer opportunities, contact Irene Lanois at firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo courtesy Irene Lanois
Toe the Line: Upcoming Races
Where: 275 Foley St., Assembly Square, Somerville MA (map)
When: Sunday, August 20th @ 9:00 a.m.
The Race to the Row 5K will run through the Assembly Square District and along the Mystic River, ending with a fun-filled post-party and beer garden! There's also a Fast Mile race and a free Kids Fun Run! Proceeds will be donated to East Somerville Main Streets, the Somerville TrackPAC, and Somerville Auxiliary Police.
Click here to REGISTER TODAY!
We rely on the energy and enthusiasm of our volunteers to make the Race to the Row a success. Whether you’re running or not, there’s guaranteed to be a volunteer opportunity that’s right for you. All volunteers get admission into the post-race party, featuring free beer, pizza, and ice cream!
Click here to VOLUNTEER TODAY!
USATF Grand Prix - New England
- SRR USATF Members planning on running the BayState Marathon can get a 10% registration discount. For the discount code, email Coach Joe O’Leary at email@example.com
- SRR-paid entry to the Lone Gull 10k (Sep 24, Gloucester MA) is available now. To get the club to pay for your entry, all you have to do is enter their information on the following spreadsheet before September 10: https://tinyurl.com/ya7xvptp You must be a paid SRR member and a USATF member, and SRR must be your USATF club. Nobody will be officially entered until September 10th, so you can change your mind until then. Only people who have changed the "Confirmed" box to "YES" will be entered on that date (so it's safe to enter your data and leave "Confirmed" as "NO" if you are a not sure). Coach Joe will confirm with everyone on the list before I make the entries.
- More info on the annual USATF-NE Grand Prix
Exciting Things to Come!
Introducing SRR's Own Epic Summer Long Run Series!
Forecast: Hazy, hot, and humid with the strong possibility of beer.
The Long Run Committee kicked off the summer with three fun-filled long run events (and post-run celebrations) this summer. We strongly encourages you to save the remaining dates in the list below. Thank you to the hosts of all past and upcoming runs!! Stay tuned for more detail as events approach. All are welcome!
Saturday, 5/6 Scotoberfest Spring Edition Trail Run & BBQ (Belmont)Saturday, 6/24 Viv's Invitational Long Run & BBQ (Somerville)
Saturday, 7/15 Summer Beer Run & BBQ (Arlington) - 9.5 miles, 3 beers
Saturday, 8/12 Long Run & Corn Hole Tourney (Somerville)
Saturday, 9/16 No Frills 30K on the Charles (Watertown)
SRR Expands Our Community Workout Opportunities
Looking to beat the summer heat and kick off your week knowing you accomplished a killer workout? Come get your sunrise miles and strength in with the Somerville Road Runners on Monday mornings. Our Summer Sunrise Stride & Strength workout gives you the opportunity to run morning hills followed up by a strength circuit. This workout is open to current members as well as to anyone interested in checking out SRR.
Questions? Reach out to Nichole Bukowski at firstname.lastname@example.org
Time: 6:00 am on Mondays
Location: Meet on Powder House Boulevard at the bottom of Packard Ave.
Starting Date: Monday July 31st and repeats each Monday through the summer
SRR T-Shirt Design Contest
We are looking for your ideas and input. We want to offer a greater variety of fun casual SRR gear for our members to kick around town in. Is there a fun running slogan, pun, or image you want on a t-shirt, hat, sweatshirt, etc.? Let us know what it is! We are accepting the full mock-up design--or just shoot us your ideas and we can create the mock-up.
Check out one of the designs our current rockstar SRR member Anthony White submitted. Who doesn't want to wear this fun and stylish shirt around town? As we know, SRR Runs This Town!
All who send in ideas will be entered in a drawing to win free SRR swag. Spread the word!
Member Spotlight: Milly Serafin-Breider
How long have you been running and a part of SRR?
I was born into SRR, so I’ve been a member my whole life! I didn’t start running until I was a year old, but I have run several 5Ks in my six years. I prefer to go and cheer for my teammates over running though because I get to wear my SRR hoodie and then lick everyone at the finish line!
Where are you from?
I am from Buffalo, NY!
Fave race and why
I love the Boston Marathon. I’ve never run it, but it’s the best race to lick runners at ‘cause they are so sweaty!
Most unusual thing seen on a run
Once, I saw a guy pulling a tire while running up Packard Ave.!
Recent PR or race accomplishment
I would have to say it was the “mud run” 5K at Pineland Farms. It wasn’t a PR, but I was very proud of the fact that I ran through mud up to my shoulders and finished the race strong!
Why do you love being a part of SRR?
I love SRR because there are so many people to lick! Also for all the good friends I’ve made through the club, including (but not limited to) Ziggy, Penelope, Kona and Presley, Hobbes…
Would you recommend joining SRR to your friends, and if so, why?
I feel like SRR is the hot new dating site. I got my mom and dad together by being cute and winning my dad’s heart. He wanted to take me for walks and buy me things, and he thought my mom was okay too. After some convincing, and some (a lot of) help from me, they finally went out on a date and now they are married!
Running shoe of choice
I prefer to go bare paw.
What is something that your teammates might not know about you?
I like to practice yoga while I am out for a walk. I can do a handstand while doing my doody, and sometimes I almost flip myself over!
Quote of the Season
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”—Aristotle