Toe the Line: Recent & Upcoming Races
- March 6: SRR Grand Prix race #3 and USATF-NE Grad Prix race #1, An Ras Mor 5k, Cambridge, MA
- Under blue skies and in the best weather we've seen in many years, 954 runners completed the 19th annual An Ras Mor 5k. Nine men finished in under 15:00 and 17 women broke 18:00. Congrats to Jen Rapaport and Liz Cooney for finishing third in their respective age groups!
- Full results here, and photos courtesy of Jim Rhoades here
- Thank you to the race committee and our volunteers for a great day!
- March 20: USATF-NE Grand Prix race #2, New Bedford Half Marathon, New Bedford, MA
- Congratulations to Mark Duggan for winning the Beach Fun Half Marathon (CA) and to Emma Kosciak for finishing first in her age group at the Katy Half Marathon (TX)!
SRR Second Saturday Long Run: March 12
SRR will be offering a Second Saturday Long Run each month to bring the club together and open our weekend running up to our community. Our first long run on Saturday February 13th was a HUGE Success! We ran and watched the Olympic Trials at Orleans post-run.
Meeting Time: 9:00 am Saturday March 12th
Meeting Location: Au Bon Pain in Davis Square, Somerville
Running Pace: Run open to all - we will have various pacing groups.
Running Route & Distances: The run will start at Au Bon Pain traverse down the bike path and head over to Fresh Pond. After the Fresh Pond loop - there will be different options.
Post RUN FUN - We runners get hungry and thirsty! Join us at Orleans in Davis Square post-run for food and socializing.
We hope to see you on Saturday morning! Spread the word about the Saturday run - open to all!
SRR Kids Spring 2016
We will start the SRR Kids Spring 2016 season next Wednesday, March 16th. Practices will be on Wednesday nights from 6:15 to 7:15 at the Tufts outdoor track. We will finish our season with the Mystic River Herring Run & Paddle race on Sunday, May 15th. For more information, please visit the SRR Kids website: http://www.srr.org/kids/.Registration is now open online. To register, please click on the link "Open for Registration" towards the top of the SRR Kids website. If you have more than one child participating please complete the form separately for each child.
SRR March Instagram/Facebook Photo Contest
Congratulations to our February #SRRLoveMyRun photo contest winner Greg, and our An Ras Mor 5k #SRRRunsGreen photo contest winner Christophe! Greg wins an entry to the Spring Classic 5k and Christophe is the proud new owner of an SRR green shamrock t-shirt. Thanks to everyone who participated!
In the spirit of loving being GREEN, SRR will continue to host our #SRRRunsGreen social media contest through the month of March. Do you prefer to run, walk, bike, T, hover board, skip, or crawl around town? Do you cry tears of joy when you drop your worn out running sneakers in the refurbished shoe bins? Are you growing your own kale and spinach in city gardening beds for delicious post run smoothies? Share your love of all things GREEN with us this month to win a 2015 Boston Marathon Street Banner. Yes, we do mean you will win one of the street banners that was adorning the tall street posts last April. Post your #SRRRunsGreen picture to SRR's Instagram or Facebook Page and let us know what is so GREEN about YOU.
|Seth Maleri and Jesse Morrow demonstrate green travel options |
in the Green Mountain state after the GMAA 15k
We mourn loss of one of our club members, Thomas Cole, who passed away on Wednesday, February 17th. As a runner and photographer, Tom avidly captured our truest moments in any kind of weather, any kind of condition, and any time of day. He was a loyal supporter of each and every SRR, on and off the course. It was a highlight of any race to have him there, and to see the moments he captured. He will be missed.
2016 Club Elections
Elections will take place at at the Eastern Bank Community Room in Davis Square. All current members are encouraged to attend and vote! Members will vote on the board of directors, and then the board will appoint the club officers.
To get to know the candidates beforehand, please take a minute to review:
Candidates for Elected Positions
Candidates for Appointed Positions
Candidates for Elected Positions
Candidates for Appointed Positions
Also on the ballot will be an amendment to the bylaws. Over the years, the structure of the board and the responsibilities of each board member has evolved. Similarly, the list of appointed positions and race committees has expanded. After a careful review of the bylaws, the current board is proposing an amendment to better reflect the current structure of the board positions and duties. At the elections on Monday, each individual revision will be listed and if the membership is in agreement, then the amendment will be made and published for future reference. Members will vote on the summary of updates.
The original bylaws
- Article I/Name: Updating organization as “Somerville Road Runners” or “SRR” (abbreviation)
- Article III/Seal/Logo: Updating previous seal/logo to the name logo “Somerville Road Runners”
- Article V/Dues: Updating statement that dues are collected by club Membership Coordinator (previously Treasurer). Updating due date to any time in fiscal year (previously April 1).
- Article VI/Officers and Board of Directors:
- Section One: Updating Board of Directors to the current format of President, Vice President, Secretary/Clerk, Treasurer, and Two Members at Large. Updating list of appointed positions.
- Section One: Updating Corporate Officers to be all Board of Directors (expanding from previous list of President, Treasurer, and Clerk)
- Section Two: Updating Duties of Officers to be consistent with job descriptions used in annual elections, including two-year term for Treasurer and Membership Coordinator
- Section Four: Updating statement that club communications and press releases are updated by all relevant club officers and race committees (previously Public Relations Coordinator)
- Section Four: Updating list of appointed positions to be consistent with list used in annual elections, including two-year term for Membership Coordinator, and updating those positions appointed in July vs March. Expanding additional club leadership to race committees, and the club coach (as paid by stipend determined by the Board)
- Section Five: Clarifying duties of Membership Coordinator vs Treasurer
- Section Five: Updating due date to any time in fiscal year (previously April 1). Removing language of active members without paying dues, as we only maintain list of dues-paying members
- Section Six: Removing media communications as one of the duties covered by the Secretary as this has been addressed in Section Four
- Section Eight: Updating sentence regarding Corporate Officers and appointment of positions as this has been revised to the Board of Directors and is previously addressed in section Four.
- Section Nine: Revising statement of compensation to include coach stipend.
- Article VII/Elections:
- Updating to include two-year term for Secretary and removing distinction of Corporate Officers as this is Board of Directors
- Adding Sections 1,2,3 on Voting and Voter Criteria, Election Procedures, and Counting Ballots to be consistent with current procedures
- Article VIII/Meeting:
- Updating language to allow board to change monthly meeting for any scheduling reason or conflict (not just holiday)
Member Shoutout: Urvi Mujumdar
Many, if not most, of you know our club President Urvi Mujumdar. Urvi has been an SRR member since 2010 and has served as Volunteer Coordinator, Vice President (two terms), and is running for a second term as President in 2016. Please join us in thanking Urvi for her tireless leadership and service to the club, and also congratulating her on her recent marriage to fellow club member Jesse Morrow! We wish you both many years of happiness and adventures!
|Urvi Mujumdar, right, and Jesse Morrow on their wedding day |
re-enacting the SRR 26x1 relay handoff that brought them together!
Quote of the Month
"Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you’re young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don’t let worn-out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself." - John Bingham